Thursday, April 20, 2017

Normal…………….


I would like to start this month’s entry by saying “I am grateful for being able to manage sanity during my journey to a healthier me, during my journey to manage normal”. What brings this on; from my previous entries you should note that I have always maintained that ‘Normal’ is a place that we should all strive for. ‘Normal’ is carrying a reasonable and manageable ratio of lean to fat mass. You shouldn’t be undernourished nor should you be over nourished. A good percentage of my coworkers are over nourished, and I have recently written about the undernourished, specifically acquaintances that have been through a rapid weight loss. This last week at the little gym I go to in Kennewick, WA, there is a younger woman (maybe mid 30’ish) that I see in there every now and then that is obviously anorexic. She is so thin, so lean………and even though you can see muscular definition, the woman looks terrible. I watched this woman spend 60 minutes on an elliptical beating herself to death as if she weighed 2X her current weight. There IS a happy median, there is a ‘Normal’, but this girl hasn’t found it. She would look tremendously better with a higher fat percentage. And as a second example, a gal that I have known for several years that haunts the little 24 hour gym to on a regular basis. She is a naturally thin woman but lately I have noticed a bit of loose skin in the arms and neck, a sure sign she is dieting on the wrong side healthy. She has told me before she does not want to lift anything heavy…..a fear of bulking up. I think she would look tremendously better with 20 pounds of added weight.

When chasing that Last 10 Pounds, you need to know when to back off. Overshooting, being underweight, under-fat, may be as unhealthy as being overweight, overfat.


More Power…………..

And the 2017 Power Macro plan is;

 
Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4
 
AM
PM
AM
PM
AM
PM
AM
PM
Monday
 
Upper
 
Lower
 
Upper
 
 
Tuesday
 
Cardio
 
Cardio
 
Cardio
 
Upper
Wednesday
 
Lower
 
Upper
 
Lower
 
 
Thursday
 
Cardio
 
Cardio
 
Cardio
 
Lower
Friday
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Saturday
 
Upper
 
Lower
 
Upper
Cardio
 
Sunday
 
Cardio
 
Cardio
 
Cardio
 
 


Type
Exercises
Upper
Main Show – Upper, Drop Set Bench - neutral grip bench using single arm Kettle Ball as drop set.
Supplement Round 1 – Double Row Super, narrow grip land mines followed by lighter set of barbell rows.
Supplement Round 2 – Curl Super, barbell drag curl followed by straight arm land mine.
Fin – Reverse Curl, Vince Grinada
Lower
Main Show – 5 X 5 Front Squat, followed by superset raised heal Front Squat and pull-ups.
Supplement Round 1 – dead lift or leg press, seated calf raise superset.
Supplement Round 2 – Cable Twists or Wood Choppers
Fin - Reverse Curl, Vince Grinada
Cardio
Option 1 – Run, Intervals 1 on 2 off, 30 min working toward 45
Option 2 – Elliptical, Intervals 1 on 2 off, 30 min working toward 45
 
These are heart rate based, not a race

I have already started some of these basic exercises. Specifically, the 5 X 5 front squat routines. I’ve started out at 145, the goal will be a 5 X 5 routine at 185, all five sets. This should push me to the ultimate PR of a 225 front squat.

I just have to keep in mind this macro is about strength and power. There is no endurance or body shape goal….just get stronger.


Monthly KPI’s…………….

Finishing the 2016 Sculpting Macro, legs are thicker, back is stronger, and I met my goals. The only one I DID NOT meet was a full 3rd set of the 32 rep front squat routine. These are killers. I will save the full 3rd set as a goal PR for next year’s Sculpting Macro.

January Best
Exercise
Sets
Reps
Total Weight Moved
Squat Pyramid
2
32
8080
 
1
28
3500 (11980 Total)
 
 
 
 
Press Combo
4
16
9440
 
 
 
 
Bench Row
4
8
4640
 
 
 
 
Masculine Feelings (Scale 1 to 10) = 9
Cardio; Daily Job Site Walks
Notes;
Lower; Squat Pyramids. 6 front light, 4 front heavy, 4 back light, 4 back heavy, 4 back light, 4 front heavy, 6 front light. This is one set (32 reps) with no rest. 2 to 3 sets with 4-minute rest between sets. Final -  3rd set is a 3/4 Set.
 
Upper; Press Combo. 8 reps Wide Grip Guillotine press, followed by 8 reps Narrow Grip press and 4/5 Neutral Grip pullups with L-Sit.
 
Back; I will be using the Bench Row as an indicator as far as back work. Just note that I am also completing pullups, lat pulls, face pulls, etc… to supplement.
 


And since this is the end of the 2016 Sculpting Macro, the following data needs to part of my KPI’s

Skinfolds
Pec
7
Calculated BF = 11
Realistic BF (+4) = 15 to 17
Ab
8
Thigh
10
Body fat calc is from ExRx and is Age Corrected to 61.

 As far as body weight and skin folds, there was no real change from the Endurance Macro that ended in September and weight has hovered around 190 to 193. I managed to maintain the gains that were made.

And finally the comparison between Casey Butt’s, Your Muscular Potential, and where we’re at, at the end of the 2016 Sculpting Macro;

   
5’9” Average Joe (15% BF)
5’9” Mark Jennings (15 Sculpting)
5’9” Mark Jennings (16 Sculpting)
5’9” Chiseled Athlete (10% BF)
Chest
38.7”
42.5
43.5
45.5”
Bicep
13.1”
14.5
15
16.7”
Forearm
12.1”
11.5
11.5
13.3”
Neck
15.3”
15
15.5
16.3“
Waist
33.5”
36
36
30.3”
Hips
41.0”
40.5
40
38.0”
Thigh
22.1”
23.7
24
24.8“
Calf
14.3”
15
15.5
16.4“
Torso Shape
Inverted V
à
Rectangular
à
Rectangular
à
Positive V
à


From the measurement standpoint you can see there was an improvement in the chest area. This has been something where I had some focus but it wasn’t an intentional target. In fact, I think it is more back and lats that have improved from the pull ups and the flat bench rows; those two exercises really develop that upper back.

Again, I want to reiterate; this year…………no cardio, maybe there is no reason for my body to carry excess fat……..maybe?


Considerations………………

As you get older you are supposed to get wiser. I think everyone needs to make an effort in attaining normal. Do not accept underweight, do not accept overweight. Do not allow compromise when seeking normal. Find a measure; Casey Butt’s, ARMY’s  600-9, etc… and work toward those standards. I guarantee, the closer you get the better you’ll feel…..physically and emotionally. Strive to be Normal. Chase down and catch that Last 10 Pounds.


MMJennings

No comments:

Post a Comment