Tuesday, February 20, 2018

When The Doctor Never Calls………….


To start out a new year with specific goals, especially after a very successful previous year, seems overwhelming. For 2018, my goals may be a bit unrealistic for someone who has survived 63 years……but we will chase them, no matter how elusive….all in the name of gaining on that Last 10 Pounds.   

First and foremost…..find a new Doctor. From my last entry, I had requested a more detailed cholesterol test, a NMR Lipo Profile. Never happened, the Pill Pusher never responded. So the first priority is a new doctor. Since it’s a new year and the company I work for has changed insurance carriers to one that includes a ‘Teledoc’ feature…..I just might give that a try. More on that to come.
 

The latest Schedule; More Power…………

The 2018 Power Macro is a return to Basic’s. We will be working Mark Rippetoe’s 5 X 5 programming…….or at least something close. Plus, we’re back to running and hopefully later in the cycle, sprinting. Ah, the Widow Maker…..it’s been 2 years since my last attempt at this (lol).

For resistance, like last year’s Power Macro, it’s a 3 day per week program alternating upper and lower with the other 3 days on the treadmill or outside getting in some much-needed cardio and mobility work; generally, 30 to 40 minutes. This gives me 6 day per week schedule. It is a 21 day (3 week) on and 7 day (1 week) off cycle. There are 4 cycles per Macro. As of this entry, I am closing in on the first 7 day off period that marks the end of the first cycle.

For Lower Body; Deadlift and Rack Pull/Straight Leg Dead superset’s, 60 second rest between exercises…..no more than 2 minute total rest between sets. Started the cycle at 190 Deadlifts, goal for first cycle 225. (Met @ 235, 23 Jan 2018) Overall goal…..325 X 2. Then on to Hack squats and Bicep work.

Upper Body; Neutral Grip Bench and Kettle Ball Tri Extension superset’s, 60 second rest between exercises…..no more than 2 minute total rest between sets. Started the cycle at 145 Bench, goal for the first cycle 165 (Met @ 165, 24 Jan 2018). Overall goal 205 X 2. Then on to Triceps Pull Downs, One Arm Land Mines and Pull Ups (or rows). Comment; it has been 8 months since my last round of a standard bench. Note; the initial lifts were very weak, in fact I can lift heavier with wide grip guillotine presses. Dips and wide grips did their job. However, standard presses have suffered……..there is a choice I will have to make going into 2018 Endurance and Sculpting; look good or lift heavy.

Cardio; Fast/Slow split runs (1 minute on/off) 20 to 40 minutes moving toward Sprints during the 3rd and 4th cycle…….and maybe, just maybe that ‘Windowmaker’. Plus light front squat and pushup rounds and leg mobility work floor exercises. Note; toward the end of the first month, made it to 1 on/1 off but paid for it for several days….DOMS.


Sculpting Macro Review…………

The Sculpting Macro finished off 2017 with gains in definition, not so much any size or drastic weight change. I was up maybe 2 or 3 pounds total weight from the Endurance Macro witch I attribute to a ‘hand-to-mouth’ exercise…..e.g. overeating (lol). I did see a noticeable improvement in how my deltoids looked, not so much shoulder width but the cut at the top of the arm and how it flows into the posterior delts and into the traps. As far as lower body parts…..the booty seemed more defined (indents at the cheeks) plus deeper ‘Adonis’ dimples where the spine meets the hips. There was also just an outline, just a hint, of seeing that ‘Apollo’ belt, just under my ab’s. As far as a 6 pack……..there was an outline but as far as deep furrows, there was still a layer of fat that blurs the definition. And the ‘love handles’…..this is the best progress I have ever made in knocking those out. Overall, I would call the 2017 Sculpting Macro Cycle a success.

KPI’s as follows;

Skinfolds
Pec
4
Calculated BF = 8.7%
 Realistic BF (+4) = 13%
Ab
6
Thigh
8
Body fat calc is from ExRx and is Age Corrected to 62.

I actually think 13% is a bit low……..I bet actual (based on mirror check) was closer to 15%. I think the caliper accuracy starts to fall off once you get into this rage of total body fat. As I stated earlier, I had gained a few pounds (from 176 low at the end of the Endurance to 178 at the end of the Sculpting Macro) that I can pretty much guarantee it wasn’t mussel.

And finally, the comparison between Casey Butt’s, Your Muscular Potential, and where we’re at, at the end of the 2017 Sculpting Macro;

   
5’9” Average Joe (15% BF)
5’9” Mark Jennings (15 Sculpting)
5’9” Mark Jennings (16 Sculpting)
5’9” Mark Jennings (17 Sculpting)
5’9” Chiseled Athlete (10% BF)
Chest
38.7”
42.5
43.5
42
45.5”
Bicep
13.1”
14.5
15
15
16.7”
Forearm
12.1”
11.5
11.5
11.5
13.3”
Neck
15.3”
15
15.5
15
16.3“
Waist
33.5”
36
36
34
30.3”
Hips
41.0”
40.5
40
39
38.0”
Thigh
22.1”
23.7
24
23
24.8“
Calf
14.3”
15
15.5
15
16.4“
Torso Shape
Inverted V
à
Rectangular
à
Rectangular
à
Rectangular
à
Positive V
à

As you can see, the spread between the various year Macro’s, weight is tracking with size…..however, there are no dramatic changes……e.g. maintaining mussel while whittling down total fat. But I must admit, there is improvement. Weight tracking for the curious…..2015 @ 200 lbs, 2016 @ 190 lbs and 2017 @ 178 lbs. What are we showing; I am GAINING on that Last 10 Pounds!

What this data tells me………Work on the Lats to gain more size through chest. It certainly isn’t going to happen in the Pec’s (lol).


The Bongo Board………..

Yes, a Bongo board. For those that have never heard of one…..it was invented by surfers in the 60’s to
help one ‘stay’ (balance) on the board when in the water. It is basically a skate board deck with a ‘rock’ (roller) under the board. You balance with the roller under the board. This thing really, really works the gluteus medius and TFL. If you spend a lot of time in the squat rack……..get one. Mine has been in storage since my Taiwan adventures and I finally got it back. After 20 minutes, my hips were cooked. Get one…..you won’t regret it.


Conclusion……

In order to make gains or changes, besides just getting started, you need to follow through and be consistent in application. My Macro schedule may seem hokey to many but it seems to work for me and allows me to define and show progress. It is a valuable tool in making gains on that Last 10 Pounds.

Bee Good

MMJennings

No comments:

Post a Comment