Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Happy New Year!!!!!!!

Well it’s a new year. And I am still working hard to conquer that Last 10 Pounds. It was, it is and it always will be a challenge to look normal, to be normal. January will be my final month of the Sculpting Macro. And in February, we’ll start the Macro Cycles all over again, with a few new twists of course.
 
Macro Planning………………
 
As a whole, I’m pretty satisfied with last year’s efforts plus I learned a whole lot about myself. Probably the most important lesson; if you push your cardio sessions to 4 to 5 times a week plus 4 nights per week lifting something other than your…….ars…….from a chair, you need to take a break every few weeks. Now this doesn’t mean stop all activity but a ‘cutback’ is certainly in order. For my Endurance and Sculpting Macro’s, I reduced my efforts every fourth week. Sometimes I just cut out the cardio, sometimes just the weights and sometimes a combination.
 
·         During the Endurance Macro cutbacks, I really enjoyed the evening - morning split routines; the triple leg and the triple pec sets that included 3 back to back supersets, a four minute rest and 3 more back to backs. I would do the triple leg in the PM and the triple pec in the AM. Then maybe 2 or 3 days of sandbag carry and maybe a widow maker or two.
 
·         During the Sculpting Macro cutbacks, I really enjoyed cutting the weight training to two nights during the rest week and concentrating on heavier lifts. I would go for as much weight as I could and shoot for at least 3 reps sticking with bench, squat and deadlift routines. I also cut the cardio way back; two days out of the seven. This really reboots your entire physiology. 
 
I will never admit that overtraining was involved…....remember, I am of the opinion that for recreational exercise, there is no such thing as overtraining…..…but after 3 weeks of double routines (cardio and weight training, morning and evening routines) you will definitely be overreaching, and you will be tired. And I think it’s most definitely a central nervous system fatigue that wears you down.
 
During the Power Macro, we didn’t see that type of fatigue. The three day per week split weight routines plus cutting the cardio back to two days out of five allowed for enough overall recovery in a week that a week off every four wasn’t necessary.
 
So ‘being satisfied’ with the Macro concept being said, I think a repeat of the Macro process is in order for this year. Again, we’ll break the year up into three areas; Power, Endurance and Sculpting. And we’ll throw in some specific goals that include;
 
·         The Daily Squat; try to roll in weighted back squats, ass-to-grass squats, every day; stick to a minimum of 135 lbs and at least 2 sets of 8. On non-leg days, go for 10 to 20 lbs over minimum keeping the tempo fairly quick. On leg days, just keep it reasonable. We don’t need an overuse injury.
 
·         Curls; complete Bicep Curls at least 3 days per week. During the 2015 Power Macro, we completed curls every time we were in the gym (3 day per week) and during the Endurance Macro, completing curls 4 days per week. What I notice in the mirror (and others noted) is a nice bicep separation from brachialis (muscle belly) plus a fuller looking arm. The key is to keep it reasonable as far as intensity. Keep it light(er), maybe increase the number of reps, keep it slow, make sure full extension and squeeze at full contract ion.
 
·         Shoulders; go for width gaining exercises; Arnold Presses, Standing Rows, Lateral Raise, etc…….… As much as I tried this last year, it really didn’t seem to make a difference. Need more often, 3 and 4 days per week, more time under tension.
 
·         On all exercises, experience the load, be mindful of the stretch and hold for a few seconds at the highest load. Slow everything down. Feel the Force, Become One with the Steel.
 
On Sprains, Strains and Overuse…………..
 
Apparently I have not yet got it through my thick head that if it hurts, working through it generally just makes it worse. I had mentioned in a few entries back that I had a couple of ‘niggly’ long term overuse injuries. These are limiting me from some basic lifts and bodyweight routines.
 
The first is the right arm; anterior deltoid and brachioradiolialis. I had thought this was from curls or rows or even pull ups but based on a YouTube video I recently reviewed by Allen Thrall, owner of Untamed Strength in Sacramento, it may be a my dead lift. The right hand is the one I use for the underhand grip. Based on the video, the side that pulls with the underhand grip may be trying to curl the bar. That would explain where the injury started. Since I’m at a once a week deadlift and going fairly light (225 to 250), I might give using an overhand grip on both the right and left hands a try.
 
The other pseudo injury is in my left leg, specifically the hip joint itself, the area where the hamstring rolls under the glut and in the area of the hip flexors (groin area). This is also the leg where I had pulled a calf muscle two years ago in Japan. I’m not really quite sure of the cause other than it seemed to get worse when I started pushing the pedals of a recumbent bike after my 30 minute runs. After the second rest week of the Sculpting Macro, I stayed away from the bikes and started down the path of a mini full body session; squat, bench, military, row. We’ll see how the hip shakes out in a few weeks.
 
The Bad Actor……………
 
I am sure most of you have seen the YouTube videos of ‘How Not to Act in the Gym’, e.g. basic gym etiquette. Well this last month I ran into a perfect example; out of the blue this guy jumped on the bench I was using, proceeded to tell several of the young ladies using the smith rack that their squats were sub-par, announced to no one in particular how he hated the city we live in and the worst gym etiquette evil, talking politics; how rude!!! It would have been different (but not much) if he had the physique to go with his apparent ego but he was your basic middle aged, big bellied, chicken legged……………bully. There are generally annoying personalities wherever you go but his rates in the top 10 of people I do not wish to associate with. If I see him again, I just might give him the ‘shush’; you are intruding on my space, index finger over the lips signal. And if that doesn’t get his attention, maybe a one finger salute might. 
 
CO2 and You…………..
 
In an earlier blog entry I had mentioned what I thought was a connection between atmospheric CO2 and fasted blood glucose levels. I have sorta’ kinda’ changed my mind on that, but not completely. After buying the CO2 monitor and comparing CO2 levels to morning blood glucose, I really didn’t see a big change. However, where I do see a change is that on mornings where CO2 concentrations are on the order of 500 to 600 ppm inside my house (not bedroom levels but the general living area) indicating lower outside levels (maybe 400 ppm or so), my morning cardio sessions are a breeze. On days when the CO2 monitor reads above 800 ppm the morning cardio sessions suck. Fatigue sets in early followed by a lengthier recovery; from a couple of hours (low CO2) to 8, 10 and 12 hours.
 
I have also bumped into several published studies that link carbohydrate intake to higher blood CO2 with the most prominent being associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) patients. These patients are put on low carbohydrate diets to lower CO2 production at a cellular level to accommodate their restricted breathing. If you have a high carbohydrate diet (basically the norm of 20 years ago) and atmospheric CO2 concentrations are high, wouldn’t this be the same as having a mild version of COPD? It may also be logical to assume that people that hit the gym or take a run on a regular basis have better control over their weight, not because of a net energy balance (calories in = calories out) but because they have a better developed breathing efficiency? A better VO2 and VCO2 max. They are able to blow off a higher blood CO2 concentration more effectively than those that don’t exercise; they have a better metabolic rate. And this better efficiency carries over to a rested state. Bottom line; athletes and recreational exercisers breathe more efficiently 24/7. They can afford a diet richer in carbohydrates that the average Joe, maybe!!!  Maybe on days were outside CO2 levels are 800 ppm or greater, it may be prudent to restrict carbohydrate intake; this may support a better recovery. Maybe, since my bedroom CO2 levels are elevated during sleep 100% of the time, high glycemic carbohydrates need to be restricted for some period prior to going to sleep; instead of the recommended 2 hours maybe closer to 4 hours? Or maybe, get outside for a few minutes prior to hitting the sheets, get to an area of lower CO2 concentration and breathe deeply, naval to spine, find your chi, blow off the higher blood CO2 levels!!!!  
 
So part of the answer is to watch the weather; during periods of low pressure and stagnant air (indicator of high background CO2), no or low glycemic carbs. And on days we are in the middle of a high pressure area (indicator of low background CO2) go for the cookies and ‘girlfriend pie’ (LOL).
 
Dieting Ideal;
 
·         No or low glycemic carbohydrates (or at least limit carbohydrate intake) for at least 2 hours after a run or workout session. If CO2 levels are above 800 ppm, extend to 4 hours.
 
·         If background CO2 levels are high due to weather (low pressure area), e.g. above 800 ppm during the day, reduce total carbohydrate intake for the day.
 
·         This should allow your blood CO2 to normalize after exercise and prevent overburdening your system with excessive CO2 from carbohydrates. This should maintain that higher metabolism.
 
As a summary to this final 2015 journal entry, PLAN you training and work your plan, atmospheric CO2 affects training performance and recovery, the cause training injuries no matter how minor needs to be investigated and fixed, never stop working toward gaining on that Last 10 Pounds.   
 
MMJennings

No comments:

Post a Comment