Friday, May 27, 2016

Completing the 2nd Power Macro…………..

I’m in the final month of the year two Power Macro and I’m wondering to myself, have I been successful? Am I finally on a path that will lead me to win the battle, beat that Last 10 Pounds? I’m pretty confident. I’m sticking to my plan. I’m gonna’ kick butt and see it through. I know I’m making progress weather I see it in the mirror or not. So stay tuned folks, we’re plowing ahead to make those gains, to sacrifice time and energy and enjoy the rewards. And the reward is…………….knowing that I am doing everything possible to manage my own wellbeing, not settling for mediocre.

 
Niggly Injury Status………

Over the last few entries in this journal, I have been whining about a TFL pull and that I had curtailed my runs until the thing feels………less cantankerous. In fact the TFL pull may not be a TFL pull at all; it may be more of a gluteus medius pull, at its insertion on the femur. It just seems that every time I try an exercise where I need to stabilize that hip joint, there is a bit of pain. And in fact if you cruise through my many entries, you will see there is a history of left leg knee and hip issues. However, whatever is going in there I am happy to report that it is getting better but it is a slow tedious process. Recovery is just as slow as the pulled calf and broken foot injuries I muddled through 2 years ago (same leg by the way). We’re talking 8 weeks plus in most cases. Besides the runs being impacted, I have changed my squat routine a bit just to prevent aggravating the issue. I’ve switched up the drop sets for a combination of mid-weight front squats followed by a heavier back squat. And since the loads are about 25% lighter than the original drop set, I’ve made these ass to grass instead the box squats I had been working; trying to get a longer stretch. As long as I get a good warm up and loosen that TFL/glute tight spot up with a foam roller, I can get through the routine with minimal………..pain. Yes, if I do not concentrate on what muscles I’m using to get ‘out of the hole’ (during the squats), that little tear, she will talk to me, she will challenge my willpower to stick with the program.

With that said, probably a week out from the next macro, the Endurance Macro, I’ll probably start running again. And we’ll keep it easy, maybe supper SLOGs.


Key Performance Indicators……………….

KPI’s for the month of May. No improvement but there is progress.

May Best
Exercise
Sets
Reps
Total Weight Moved
Front Squat (Sup)
4
8
3,520    (110*32)
Back Squat (Sup)
4
8
4,640    (145*32)   8160 Total
Pull Up
4
8
----------
Heavy Bench
4
8
6,400   (200*32)
Drop Set Bench
4
12
6,480    (135*48)   12,880 Total
Row
4
8
3,200    (100*32)  
Masculine Feelings (Scale 1 to 10) = 5+
Cardio; Dropped cardio completely TFL/glute injury.
Notes;
Lower 3 exercises completed as a superset; Front Squat, Back Squat and Pull Up. There is 4 minute spread between the start of each set. In that 4 minutes you complete the 3 exercises plus just enough rest to allow heart rate to settle out. This set is like an extended Sprint; very, very whole body. All squats are Deep, Ass to Grass Squats. Calculated Squat 1RM – Front 137/Back 180.
 
Upper 3 exercises completed as a superset; Bench, Drop Set Bench and Rows. There is 4 minute spread between the start of each set. In that 4 minutes you complete the 3 exercises plus just enough rest to allow heart rate to settle out.  All are neutral grip Bench Presses. Calculated Bench 1RM – 248. 

It’s too bad that the Niggly Injury shut me down as far as cardio and squat routines. However, I do feel pretty good about what I did accomplish and I do get a great pump from the combined front and back squat routine. In fact I plan on carrying this front/back routine into the Endurance Macro.

And since this is the end of the 2016 Power Macro, the following data needs to part of my KPI’s

Skinfolds
Pec
6
Calculated BF = 11.2
Realistic BF (+4) = 15 to 17
Ab
8
Thigh
12
Body fat calc is from ExRx and is Age Corrected to 61. The end of the 2015 Sculpting Macro 12.6 Calculated. End of Power Macro, maybe a 1 to 2% change (12.6 to 11.2).

Between the changes in skinfold, albeit minor, and the consistent weight it’s a pretty good assumption that muscle was preserved and again, a small amount of fat was lost. There was NO jaw dropping change in physique, just good management of what I have. And finally the comparison between Casey Butt’s, Your Muscular Potential, and where we’re at, at the end of the 2016 Power Macro;
 
   
5’9” Average Joe (15% BF)
5’9” Mark Jennings (15 Sculpting)
5’9” Mark Jennings (16 Power)
5’9” Mark Jennings (16 Endurance)
5’9” Chiseled Athlete (10% BF)
Chest
38.7”
42.5
42
-
45.5”
Bicep
13.1”
14.5
15
-
16.7”
Forearm
12.1”
11.5
11.5
-
13.3”
Neck
15.3”
15
15.5
-
16.3“
Waist
33.5”
36
36
-
30.3”
Hips
41.0”
40.5
41
-
38.0”
Thigh
22.1”
23.7
24
-
24.8“
Calf
14.3”
15
15.5
-
16.4“
Torso Shape
Inverted V
à
Rectangular
à
Rectangular
à
Rectangular
à
Positive V
à
 

Planning This Year’s Endurance Macro……………

It’s time to start putting together my thoughts for this year’s Endurance Macro. Last year we did lots of sets with lots of reps at medium weight. It was basically a two day upper and two day lower schedule; twice a week, plus runs and sand bag carries. This year I’m thinking I’m going to tone it down a bit; more pulls and pushes, some sand bag caries, sprints and a pull up or two. And two days per week we’ll do whole body weight routines.  I really want to work the back and see just how far I can develop that lats.

What I would like to do is to stay line with Lyle McDonald’s Stubborn Fat Solution. Get a release of adrenaline, e.g. get the fat mobilized, then use that fat to power through the rest of the workout, a low intensity burn. Maybe a modified Widow Maker? Maybe 5 or 6 hill sprints pushing a wheel barrel followed by a sand bag carry then 5, 1 minute on-off runs? Whatever I decide to do, the cardio needs to be effective, more effective than my standard SLOG.

So the schedule may look something like;

 
Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4
 
AM
PM
AM
PM
AM
PM
AM
PM
Monday
HIIT
Upper
HIIT
Whole
HIIT
Upper
 
Whole
Tuesday
 
Whole
 
Upper
 
Whole
Stretch
 
Wednesday
Widow
 
Widow
 
Widow
 
 
Whole
Thursday
 
Whole
 
Lower
 
Whole
Stretch
 
Friday
HIIT
Lower
HIIT
Whole
HIIT
Lower
 
Whole
Saturday
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sunday
Stretch
Stretch
Stretch
Stretch
Stretch
Stretch
Stretch
Stretch
  

Too Much of a Good Thing…………..

The TFL pull I have been dealing with over the last few weeks is just another example of overuse, between running and jacking up squat frequency and of course, squat weight, I can only blame myself. So what are the overall lessons learned during this last macro, this Power Macro?

·      If I’m going to increase the frequency, use a lighter loading and concentrate on what muscle I’m actually using, e.g. don’t try and squeeze in more intensity (heavier loads) and higher frequency………. you’ll break yourself.

·      The mantra Time Under Tension doesn’t mean heavier, it just means more; more reps, slower pace, iso holds……..

·       Over the last year and a half I have been really working the lower body. Between all of the squat variations and deadlifts through the last four macro cycles, my butt and my quads have notably improved. Lesson learned; it takes a while to see noticeable gains.

·       If dropping weight (intensity) go for a FULL stretch on the extension, to the point of relaxing, then contract the muscle to initiate the lift. You should feel the burn in the last few reps of each set.


Fat Loss……………

If you look at the stats I have recorded since last years (2015) Power Macro and this year, you would notice that in this last year I have dropped about 5%  body fat; realistic fat mass from 20% to 15%. However, the string measurements (waist, hips, thighs, biceps, etc.…) have been pretty flat. I’m thinking water weight here, not just a difference in fat. And that kinda’ goes along with the mirror checks; they’ve been awfully good lately. What I think is going on here is the daily fiber intake. I know that psyllium holds a substantial amount of water…….as proven by not being constipated……but does it help pull inter-tissue water; make you look less fat? My weight fluctuates maybe 3 pounds over the course of a week, and I had always assumed water. I guess to see just how much water I’m holding I could do a water flush, a couple of days of high water and salt intake followed by next to nothing. That’s probably the only way to see, weight wise and mirror wise what exactly is going on.
 

Conclusion……………

Overuse injuries will slow you down and if you take good notes you may figure out what the issue is. I need to figure out where the imbalance is; I need to correct the issue so that I can get on with my regular routines. Read more books maybe, watch more videos maybe, get in touch with someone that can help me solve the issue? If there is a chronic left leg/hip issue, let’s find it and fix it, ASAP! Need to move through the issue so that I can still chase that Last 10 Pounds.  

 

MMJennings

No comments:

Post a Comment